Music Scene in
Recording Connection is:
audio education upgraded for the 21st century
Watch to learn why:
Silver Lake is a trendy, edgy and hip neighborhood in Los Angeles. It’s been a magnet for Los Angeles’ alternative and indie rock groups for decades. The Satellite venue is a mainstay for both local and established indie artists—it’s where Beck, Silversun Pickups and Patrick Park first got established.
If you are passionate about music, especially alternative and indie rock, the Recording Connection is geared to help you turn that passion into a career. Our disruptive mentor/extern model of music education is designed to teach the real-world skills and requirements that can hone your chops and open the doors to success. Granted that’s a bold statement and will only be possible if you are involved and on-board with what the Recording Connection programs will demand of you.
So let’s break it down:
• The Recording Connection offers mentor/extern programs in audio engineering, music production, electronic music creation, live DJing, hip hop and beat making, live music engineering and music business.
• All programs place you inside a working, professional recording studio near where you live. We have great ones in Silver Lake which we will discuss in just a bit.
• These professional recording studios can provide you with great access to all the equipment and software you’ll ever need to create your own music. However, you will need to demonstrate your passion, work ethic and how responsible you are to gain this access.
• All programs are taught by a music professional—someone who is making a good living doing what you hope to do in the near future. This makes them experts in the skills and techniques required to be a sound technician, music producer or music mogul. It also means they can open doors for you and connect you with others in the business.
• The Recording Connection provides real world experience. Traditional schools are great, but they rarely do a good job of teaching you how the real world
operates. If you don’t know by now, the real world operates with a completely different rule book than school does.
• What you need to bring to the table are dedication, passion, work ethic, responsibility and accountability and drive.
Like the saying says, “You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink.” So think of it this way, the Recording Connection can provide you with access to gear and software, instruction on how to use them, opportunities and connections but unless you dedicate yourself to making the most of them, you won’t get where you want to go. We had one student who recently re-enrolled with us who had graduated ten years ago. They said they wished they had realized back then that to work the Recording Connection programs should be looked at as an audition for a career in music, not as a school. Truer words were never said.
ONE OF OUR SILVER LAKE CONNECTIONS
The Recording Connection is proud to team up with the Pulse Music Group in Silver Lake. They are a major independent music publishing and management company which shares in joint ventures with American Songs (founded by Rick Rubin), Latin entertainment company Magnus Media (founded by Marc Anthony) and Creative Nation, a Country music publishing and management company (founded by Luke and Beth Laird).
Pulse Music Group has recently won top song awards for Camila Cabello’s “Havana Feat. Young Thug”, Maroon 5’s (“Girls Like You”), G-Eazy, A$AP Rocky and Cardi B’s (“No Limit”) and Foster the People’s (“Sit Next to Me”).
With multiple recording studios in Silver Lake, the Pulse Music Group is the ideal setting for up-and-coming artists and behind the board engineers who want to move to the next level. As an in-studio extern you’ll be working with some of the best in the business. If your work impresses them they have a vast distribution network they can send your music to.
Success in the music business, like many careers, is usually a combination of what you know, who you know, what you can do and being in the right place at the right time. The Recording Connection programs are designed to teach you what you need to know, introduce you to industry people you should know, demonstrate what real work ethic entails and put you in the right place at the right time.