Recording Tips - Hum and Buzz
Eliminate Hum and Buzz Now
This is one of the most evasive and frustrating phenomena ever to invade our workstations. Let's get rid of it!
Try some of these antidotes:
- Use only one A/C "breaker" line for your workspace no shared appliances (ie: refrigerator, washer/dryer, dishwasher).
- Do not "daisy-chain" power strips, one after another. Use only one power strip per A/C wall outlet.
- Positively NO flourescent lights in your workspace.
- Separate A/C chords at least 8 inches from audio chords. At the very least, run them at (criss-cross) 90-degree angles.
- Move power amps as far away as possible; into the next room if you can.
- Be prepared to use "ground lifters" (3-into-2 A/C adapters). If you have buzz when you power-up and plug-in any piece of gear, then lift the ground on that one!
- Lastly, unplug everything except your monitor system. Plug in each piece of equipment one-by-one, while listening carefully for hum/buzz/noise. If you hear it, then consider moving that piece of gear away from the others.
Happy hunting . . .
Clear Lake Audio
Los Angeles, CA